Name of project:
Our Lady of Good Counsel Church
Archdiocese de Grouard/McLennan
High Level, Alberta
- Retain design concept initiated by previous consultants. Introduce severe cost saving initiatives.
- Win client over with high degree of accessibility and attention to specific needs of congregation.
- Successful design and implementation process includes Bird Construction Company as Construction Manager.
- Chair and record bi-weekly project meetings throughout design and construction phases.
- Regained rapport with congregation leading to successful fundraising and increased scope of work.
- From an original construction budget of $1,100,000.00 a credit $80,000.00 was available at occupancy.
- Construction assemblies similar to a large single family residence contributed to an attractive final cost. (Wood framed roof trusses with standard vented attic, energy efficient R40 batt insulation, 25 year asphalt singles, traditional exterior stucco, clear triple sealed glazing set in PVC frames, predominantly gypsum board interior finish, rich oak wood trim and millwork, carpet and vinyl tile flooring.)
- The high interior volume, natural light filtering through the roof trusses and the building form set in a natural treed environment creates comfortable, inviting architecture well received by the community.
- Acoustic treatment from “Fabra-Wall” paneling creates softening touch for the Worship Area and, as predicted, eliminates sound reverberation from the hard surfaces.
- First class group of trades includes local artisans for significant elements such as stucco and painting. Etched glass artwork by sculptor Claude Garneau sets precedent for Worship Area exterior windows. A second memorial window etching is commissioned in memory of church elder and member of this building committee, Alex Dechant.
- Building committee and congregation have ownership knowing they were mostly responsible for the evolution of the design.
- Positive feedback leads to second Archdiocese de Grouard/McLennan project 200 kilometers south in Manning, Alberta. (St. James Roman Catholic Church)
Construction budget including site-work: